After wrapping a week of intensive coursework and classes at Wheaton this past week, here are some of the top leadership quotes that rings in my head.
1. If you want everyone to like you, go sell ice cream. (Ed Stetzer)
Not everyone will like you. Leaders will have to make tough calls that may be unpopular.
2. If I can’t lead self well, then I can’t lead others well. (Eric Geiger)
Self-discipline is a highly disregarded aspect of leadership to a certain degree.
Time. Fitness. Finance. Family. Study. Devotions. (You’re welcome to add to the list.)
3. Always prepare people for their next role and not than their current one. (Eric Geiger)
We want to develop a leadership pipeline that will prepare and move people to the greater things that God has for them.
4. Sending an angry email is like peeing in your pants. Feels good for a moment but makes you miserable for a long time. (Ed Stetzer)
As leaders, we have to learn to control our emotions. The greater the leadership, the less the privileges we actually have.
5. “The only person advocating for your time with your family is you.”- Ed Stetzer
Leaders will have to guard their time. And some of the most important moments have to be dedicated to the most important people in your life.
6. Love Jesus more deeply so you can lead his people faithfully. – Ed Stetzer
Ministry has to overflow out of our relationship with Jesus.
7. Competency will take you only as far as your character can sustain you. – Carey Nieuwhof
Many leaders crash and burn not because they are skillful and hardworking but because their character didn’t catch up with their competence.
8. I had to decide to be ferociously organized to be significantly impactful. – Ed Stetzer
Every leader needs to assess what God has called him to do and how God has called him to make an impact. When this is clear, prioritizing will be easier.
9. “You can’t digitize discipleship but tools will enhance discipleship relationships.” – Todd Adkins
With the technology at our fingertips, we can take advantage of the tools God has given us without sacrificing values and principles.
10. Scandals make you lose your position, character issues make you lose people’s trust – Ed Stetzer
Integrity is what will fuel your leadership. Guard it. Take care of it.
11. “You can’t get breakthroughs in the drive thrus.” – Will Mancini
Leaders can not expect changes to happen overnight. It will require hard work, diligence, and endurance.
12. Scarcity brings clarity.
We don’t have a lot, we end up focusing on what’s really necessary.