Pastor Joey and David Bonifacio did a Father and Son talk tandem. It was nothing short of phenomenal. You know when a person is teaching (from notes) and when he is simply speaking… speaking from experience and from the heart.
Quick run down on what I learned from David, a sharp, quick witted 26 year old single guy.
1. A father apologizing to his child is perfectly alright. It doesn’t diminish respect. In fact, it does exactly the opposite.
2. “The greatest inheritance I got was that I was ‘fathered.'”
3. A father is a definer. If a dad doesn’t define his children, the world will.
4. Discipline molds and sets boundaries. A dad has to define the boundaries. In return, a child learns to respect it growing up.
5. On discipline and the rod, pain communicates the consequence. Comfort communicates love.
6. What is not seen in the flesh is redeemed in the spirit.
7. A child becomes weak when there is too much comfort and is not allowed to experience hardship.
8. The best form of security a child can receive is to see his father being fully devoted to his mother. “Faithfulness is not not cheating. It is complete devotion.”
9. The best thing my father taught me is that no matter what, RUN TO GOD. When things are going great, RUN TO GOD. When things mess up, RUN TO GOD. When it’s happy times, RUN TO GOD. When it’s disappointment times, RUN TO GOD…. RUN TO GOD!