When you look at the cross, one word that comes to mind is the word FORGIVENESS. The depth of His forgiveness never ceases to amaze me.
In Scripture, you see this happen time and time again…
- the woman caught in adultery
- the government official who was corrupt all his life – Zaccheaus
- the religious who wanted to see the kingdom of God – Nicodemus
- the disciple who denied Him 3 times – Peter
- the murderer who ‘got rid’ of many Christ followers – Paul
- the man who has been sinful to the core – Paolo Punzalan
As someone aptly put it,
If our greatest need had been information,
God would have sent us an educator,
If our greatest need had been technology,
God would have sent us a scientist.
If our greatest need had been money,
God would have sent us an economist.
If our greatest need had been pleasure,
God would have sent us an entertainer.
But our greatest need was forgiveness,
So God sent us a Savior.
We all have been absolutely guilty, yet unconditionally forgiven. Thank God for His grace!
But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. Eph. 2:5